Sunday, October 07, 2007

Rocky Road Bars

rockyrdbar_tray


My mom always felt that ice cream flavors with vanilla or fruit were better choices than ones with chocolate. So when mom was in charge, it would be vanilla, banana nut or strawberry ice cream for me and my brothers. Orange or rainbow sherbet were acceptable choices as well. But whenever I was allowed to choose (usually when dad was in charge), I would pick rocky road ice cream. Traditionally, rocky road ice cream is a chocolate ice cream with marshmallows and nuts. It was my favorite flavor for as long as anything is a favorite when one is a young child. So I eventually grew out of the rocky road phase and moved on to other flavors like swiss orange chip.

These rocky road bars from the King Arthur Flour Cookie Companion cookbook really capture the nostalgia of rocky road and will definitely satisfy your inner child. A chocolate cookie base filled with chocolate chips and walnuts, topped with more chocolate and marshmallows and then finished off with a generous drizzle of chocolate. There's absolutely nothing grown up about it, but these bars will please you no matter your age.

rockyrdbar_1827

Rocky Road Bars
(adapted from The King Arthur Flour Cookie Companion)

1 2/3 cup all purpose flour
1/3 cup Dutch processed cocoa powder
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup (2 sticks/8ounces) unsalted butter, softened at room temp
1/2 cup (firmly packed) light brown sugar
1/2 granulated sugar
2 large eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
3 cups semi or bittersweet chocolate chips
(or 18 ounces semi or bittersweet chocolate, chopped the size of chocolate chips)
1 cup walnuts, toasted and chopped
1 to 2 cups miniature marshmallows (depending on how much you like)
Optional drizzle: 1-2 ounces chocolate, melted

Preheat oven to 350F. Lightly butter a 9x13 inch pan (or line with parchment).

Sift together flour, cocoa, baking powder and salt. Set aside. Cream butter and both sugars until combined. Beat in eggs and vanilla. Stir in the flour mixture, 2 cups chocolate chips and walnuts.

Pat the dough into your prepared pan. Bake at 350F for 15 minutes until the edges are set but still soft in the center. Sprinkle with remaining 1 cup chocolate chips and then marshmallows. Bake about 3-5 minutes more.

Drizzle with melted chocolate if desired. Allow bars to cool completely before cutting. I cut mine into 32 bars.

36 comments:

Mandy said...

yum yum! I wish I could have a piece!

Jessica said...

Oh my gosh, those are beautiful! And drool-inducing...

Karen said...

Now I know I need to invest in the KA cookie cookbook. The bars look divine.

Anh said...

This looks sooo wickedly delicious! I know I have to try it!

Suzanne said...

I am getting my book out and making those beauties! I feel a serious chocolate fix coming on:-)

Gretchen Noelle said...

My mom was always the one who chose Rocky Road, not me. But, I would choose these bars any day! I look forward to making them soon!

Peabody said...

Mmmm, I own that book and somehow missed this...I love rocky road. I must revisit this cookbook.

Meeta said...

Oh my this looks so good. I'd love to be able to sink my teeth into these!

veron said...

rocky road ice cream was my ultimate favorite growing up too! I love chocolate and walnuts together, I'm sure I love these. You make the most scrumptious dessert bars!

breadchick said...

OK Mary, I was writing out my grocery list while reading through some blogs and this recipe is responsible for me putting mini marshmallows on my shopping list.

Can't wait to do these and take them into the office.

Dana said...

Isn't it funny how your favorite ice cream flavor as a kid relates to many of your dessert preferences as an adult?? These look great!

lynn said...

Fabulous! I love the beautiful diagonal drizzling you did - very artistic. And how did you get the whole thing to come out of the pan so cleanly?

Deborah said...

I love rocky road!! I would still buy the ice cream, but my husband doesn't like chocolate ice cream, and so I would end up eating the whole thing myself! But these bars? I'm sure he'd go for them!

Lis said...

Oh yeah.. that would totally satisfy any chocolate craving I could have. Rocky Road use to be my favorite too.. and then Ben & Jerry's came along and I haven't looked back. hee!

Beautiful bars, sweetie!

xoxo

Brilynn said...

Those look gooey and delicious!

Mallow said...

Oh dear - those look dangerous!

Tartelette said...

I am copying these pronto and adding them to the Halloween party list. Thanks!

gigi said...

mmm...I can't wait to make these!

MyKitchenInHalfCups said...

I knew I shouldn't come here so late at night when all the house is asleep.
Great photo. Wish I had one. I could be quiet eating one but not cooking them.

Annemarie said...

Ooof - haven't thought about rocky road in ages but now you've planted a craving. My teeth already ache with the sweetness, but it will be worth it.

John said...

This looks great! And, you have one of the best sites around. It is absolutely beautiful!

breadchick said...

Mary, wanted to let you know that I did make these last night and brought them into the office today.

It is now 9:30am and they are all gone! The response was they were extremely good and very rich.

I thought they were super yummy. Especially the dough!!!

Definitely a keeper recipe for me.

sara, the house of charm said...

I'm totally using these for my halloween party!! YUM!

Mary said...

Thanks for all the great comments! I really appreciate them. :) These would be great for a Halloween party.

Lynn - To get the whole thing out of the pan cleanly, a parchment paper "sling" works really well. But this time I used aluminum foil that has a non-stick coating on one side.

Breadchick - Glad your office mates liked them. When I brought mine into the office, they were gobbled up quickly too!

Anita said...

It's a whole field of rocky road! So gorgeous and yum-inducing!

Cheryl said...

Holy moly. Just sinful and beautiful looking too.

Elizabeth said...

Totally orgasmic ... Csn I replace your cat as chief taster please?!

Popped over from Merisi's blog, since I nominated her for the Blogger award. So glad she sent me... :-)

Amy said...

My dad always chose an ice cream with nuts, whereas I loved caramel or cheesecake. These bars look delicious!

love.boxes said...

Yum! I would love to try those!

ovenhaven said...

I knew I bought those mini marshmallows on impulse for a reason! Can't wait to try this out!

Julie said...

Wow, that's absolutely beautiful! I'd love to crumble one on top of a dish of ice cream.

Chris said...

Oh my goodness....this is love right here! I have to check out the cookbook...and break my self proclaimed ban on buying anymore cookbooks!

Cynthia said...

There'd be no pain in my feet as I step lightly to have some rocky road bars. You are an outstanding baker.

Jenn said...

These look AMAZING!

www.chocolateshavings.ca

Anonymous said...

these were absolutely delicious. cookie was a bit crumbly, but in this case that's good because it's another reason to cram the whole thing in your mouth at one time. GREAT RECIPE, THANKS!

Valerie said...

These have become a favorite at our house since I found the recipe here. My daughter even chose it as the recipe to share with her class. Thanks for this one and so many good recipes and photos on your blog.