Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Poppy Pumpkin Seed Poppers

poppy pepita poppers2


I didn't quite know what to call these cookies. I started with a recipe for Russian tea cakes / Mexican wedding cookies, but filled them with a combination of toasted pumpkin seeds (aka pepitas) and poppy seeds. The name for these little treats came to me when the head honcho at work admitted that he couldn't stop popping them into his mouth. And voila, the poppy pumpkin seed popper was born.

Poppy Pumpkin Seed Poppers
(makes 36 cookies)

8 ounces (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened at room temp.
1/2 cup confectioner's (powdered) sugar
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup pepitas (raw pumpkin seeds), toasted lightly and chopped
2 tbsp poppy seeds

3/4 cup confectioner's (powdered) sugar for dusting

Preheat oven to 350F.

In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat butter and sugar until creamy and well combined, about 1-2 minutes at medium speed. Add vanilla extract and beat for about 30 seconds. Add flour and mix on low speed until flour is just incorporated. Mix in pumpkin seeds and poppy seeds.

Shape dough into balls about 1-inch in diameter. Place onto ungreased baking sheets. Bake for 13-15 minutes until dough no longer appears wet and the bottoms are lightly browned. Cool on baking sheet for 5 minutes, and then transfer cookies to cooling rack. When the cookies are completely cool dust liberally with confectioner's sugar.

poppy pepita poppers

PS: Apologies for the really short post today. In addition to losing an hour because of daylight savings, I also had a tough weekend. A sad and exhausted Mary cannot think straight. At least we're experiencing some absolutely gorgeous weather around here. I think we reached 80 degrees in San Francisco today. The "sunshine therapy" is definitely helping to lift my spirits.

18 comments:

Ellie said...

What a great idea! They look and sound fantastic - I've heard of these Mexican wedding cookies but have never tried them...I reckon this could be a great recipe to start with!

Hope the sunshine therapy worked and that you're feeling better :)

Cheryl said...

These look great. What an interesting idea!

clarice said...

Thank you mary these sound like a wonderful combo. I hope the rest of the week is better for you. CLarice

veron said...

Oh wow, I can just imagine myself popping a couple of these in my mouth!

hester said...

They look delicious... think is it maybe just in the UK that poppers has another slightly darker meaning ;-)! Hope you feel better - whenever I am down sunshine therapy and a little stroll in the sun makes me feel loads better.

MyKitchenInHalfCups said...

I love this variation. I just know this would be divine. Hope I remember it next time I do these.

Helene said...

What a crative cookie! I think I'd keep popping them in my mouth all day long too!
Hope you have a ggod rest of the week. I am wearing shorts and sandals today...it's 85!!

Brilynn said...

Last time I tried to make tea cakes they turned into melted puddles of goo...

Claire said...

These look so good! Perfect for a wedding shower or something like that. Interesting combination of poppy seeds and pumpkin seeds.

gilly said...

How adorable, Mary! I hope the sunshine therapy helps, and all is well. Take care!

Chris said...

I love these! I bet I'd eat the while plate if they were in front of me.

I am sorry you had an icky weekend. Hopefully the fabulous weather will continue and things turn around for you. Have a great week!

Anuhea said...

Wow...these look yummy, but the apple bars below look even better, I can't wait to try them! I just wanted to stop by and say hi....cause I love your blog and have put a link to you on mine. Come check mine out sometime.

Freya and Paul said...

genius idea! These look delicious and beautiful!

Peabody said...

Oh I love Mexican Wedding Cookies so I bet these are fabulous.

Terry B said...

These fabulous cookies would boost my spirits! Hope things are going better for you now.

Ivonne said...

I just love Mexican Wedding Cookies. I've also seen them called Russian Tea Cakes. Whatever you call them they're delicious and I adore your variation!

Well done, Mary!

Harry & Eddie said...

Thanks for the great recipe. Gotta try them soon. There are two containers of poppy seeds in the freezer and an opened bag of pepitas on the counter to be used up. This looks like a cookie my mother made for my bar mitzvah a million years ago; she must have made thousands of them as it seems we had them for months after the event thanks to her new "deep freeze."

Madison Harris said...

Hi Mary,

My name is Madison Harris and I'm a relationship manager at NutsOnline.com, a leading web retailer for Pumpkin Seeds (though I should note we also sell many other nuts, dried fruit, candy and trail mixes). :)

Our users love our products but have increasingly told us that they’re interested in information about the nutritional aspects of Pumpkin Seeds as well as health tips and recipes. As we only seek to please our customers, we’ve begun compiling a list of the best informational sites for Pumpkin Seeds lovers-- you can see our progress here: http://www.nutsonline.com/links#pumpkinseeds

As you can see, we’ve linked to your site in an effort to connect our customers with useful information about the Pumpkin Seeds they love, and we’re hoping you’ll be willing to return the favor by linking back to our Pumpkin Seeds product page. :) If you do a web search you’ll see NutsOnline consistently has low prices and very favorable customer satisfaction.

We’d be eternally grateful if you could place a link to: http://www.nutsonline.com/snacks/pumpkinseeds/ within the text "Pumpkin Seeds" on your site, so that if people are interested in buying Pumpkin Seeds, they’ll know exactly where to go!

Let me know your thoughts or if you have any questions, and I’ll follow up right away-- feel free to contact me directly at madison@nutsonline.com. I’d be more than happy to tell you more about NutsOnline and provide any follow up detail you’d like!

Very Best Regards,

~Madison

Madison Harris
Relationship Manager, NutsOnline
madison@nutsonline.com